We use cookies on our site

We use cookies and similar technologies to make our website work and improve your experience, as well as for analytics. You can accept these by selecting 'Accept All', update your preferences by clicking 'Settings' or make a decision later by clicking here.

View our Privacy policy for more details. You can manage your cookie choices at any time by visiting the cookie setting area.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make a claim under the data guarantee?

If you wish to make a claim you can obtain a claim form by writing to Experian Automotive Claims Department, The Sir John Peace Building, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG80 1ZZ or telephone 0333 000 0181 *.
This process also applies if you wish to make a claim against the data insurance for checks made prior to 29/10/2015.

I have purchased a multiple check and I haven't used them all, why can't I do any more checks?

A multiple check has a 60 day time limit from the date it was purchased; it is likely that your checks have expired.

When does the 60 days start? When I register, purchase or when I check the first vehicle?

The 60 days start from the date the Vehicle Check is purchased.

If I purchase a multiple check and I do not wish to use them all can I get a refund?

No, a multiple check is so you can check UP TO 3 or 5 vehicles depending on your selection. Any unused checks are non-refundable. You do however have the right to cancel and receive a refund as per our ‘Cancellation and Refunds’ information.

Can you buy a check over the phone?

No, Vehicle Check is an online service only; we are unable to carry out any checks over the phone.

Why do vehicles have plate changes?

Vehicles go through plate changes so the owner can personalise the vehicle. It will always go back to an age related plate once the 'private' plate has been moved to another vehicle.

Why is there no record of the vehicle I am trying to check?

We would suggest that you contact the seller of the vehicle and check the registration number carefully with them. If the registration number you are trying is correct, then we are unable to carry out a check as we do not have a record of this vehicle on our database. This may be because the vehicle has recently had a plate change. In this instance we advise contacting the seller to obtain the previous plate and carry out the check on this. It may take a little while for the plate change to become effective.

What is a VIN?

A VIN or chassis number as it is sometimes known, is a unique identification number for every vehicle manufactured, consisting of a combination of 17 letters and numbers. A registration number can be changed and may appear on different vehicles over a period of time, but the VIN is a constant throughout the lifetime of the vehicle.

I have entered the VIN and it says it doesn't match, what do I do?

We advise you to go back to the vehicle and double check the VIN on the logbook and the vehicle itself. If they do not match do not purchase the vehicle. If the vehicle and the V5 match contact us and we will investigate the matter further for you. Please note that there are no letters I or O in a VIN, they are always shown as the numbers one and zero.

Can you supply the VIN to me?

We do not give the VIN out for security reasons to reduce the risk of vehicles being cloned. We would advise that you obtain the VIN from the vehicle itself, check it against the V5C and then input it into your report on the Vehicle Check site.

What do I do if there isn't a V5C and/or MOT?

We do not recommend purchasing the vehicle without the V5C or MOT (on vehicles where an MOT is required); if you do you will not be covered under the terms of the data guarantee. If the seller states that they have sent the V5C to the DVLA, wait for it to come back before completing the purchase, and ensure that you are buying from the registered keeper if buying privately. Check the ID of the seller such as a passport and a recent utility bill; this should match with the name and address of the registered keeper on the V5C.

If you are buying from a trader you will need to question why the V5 and/or MOT are unavailable. The dealer may not have the V5C if for example it’s been sent to the DVLA for a number plate change, you should wait until they have the new one or walk away.

What if the vehicle specification details are different to that supplied in the report?

If the vehicle and V5C match, but the details in your Vehicle Check does not, please contact Service Support. If the V5C and Vehicle Check report match, but the vehicle is not as described - the owner should contact the DVLA for help and advice.

The transmission is incorrect, what should I do?

We obtain the transmission directly from the manufacturer when the vehicle is first registered. We would suggest that you contact your local dealership to confirm the correct transmission for this model.

What is Unit Stocking?

Unit Stocking is a motor dealer's finance agreement. If you are buying from a dealer and this shows on your report, talk to the dealer about it and ask for confirmation of their liability in writing if you have any concerns.

Should I Buy A Written-Off Vehicle?

Before you buy a written-off vehicle you should consider the following:

  • Have you told your insurance company about it? If you don't they may refuse a claim. It may not affect the premium you pay, but could reduce the amount paid out in the event of a claim.
  • It’s advisable to have a mechanical inspection carried out to ensure it has been repaired to a high standard - an MOT certificate is not sufficient.
  • The market value will have been reduced considerably by the write-off - don't pay full price for it.
  • You may have some difficulty selling the vehicle in the future. Dealers often won't accept them in part exchange and the market for it will be limited. A potential buyer will also have the same concerns in the future as you do now.

An explanation of the categories of write-off is listed below:

Category Description
A This vehicle has been declared unsuitable or beyond repair and has been identified to be crushed in its entirety.
B This vehicle has been declared unsuitable or beyond repair. Usable parts can be recycled.
C An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
D A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
F A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.
S This vehicle has been deemed a repairable vehicle which has sustained damage to any part of the structural frame or chassis and the insurer / self-insured owner has decided not to repair the vehicle.
N This vehicle has been deemed a repairable vehicle which has not sustained damage to the structural frame or chassis and the insurer / self-insured owner has decided not to repair the vehicle.

Will previous accident damage be recorded?

We will only show accident damage if the vehicle has been subject to a total loss claim through an insurance company. If the vehicle has been damaged but repaired by the insurance company or the owner, then there will be no record of it.

This vehicle has been written off; can you tell me the exact area of damage?

The insurance company does not release this detail of information. They only tell us the category of write off which gives us an indication of the severity of the damage. If you are looking for further information regarding this matter we would advise getting the vehicle mechanically inspected.

Why is there a mileage anomaly?

A mileage anomaly is where mileage records held for the vehicle are not sequential. A discrepancy could indicate that the vehicle may have been 'clocked', and that at some point the odometer has been tampered with to display a lower figure than the actual mileage. You should check that the current mileage is correct by carefully checking the service history (and MOT certificates if applicable) and discuss this with the seller and request proof of an odometer change and if necessary contact a franchise dealer to verify it.

Please note that the DVLA do round up mileages to the nearest thousand.

What if there is no mileage information?

There are instances where no mileage data has been recorded. This can happen for example when the garage that services it does not submit any data. If the owner does not enter any mileage on the V5C form when he submits it to the DVLA for a keeper change, then no record will come from that source.

Occasionally a record is received when a vehicle is fairly new, and then nothing comes through for several years. This is due to mileage records not being compulsory. You should check MOT certificates and service records to satisfy yourself that the sequence of mileages is acceptable.